Our Gastroenterology Blog
Posts for: April, 2017
Discover the purpose of an endoscopy and why it’s recommended.
Are you dealing with digestive issues? Have digestive symptoms been plaguing you for a while? Then our Martinsburg, WV, gastroenterologist Dr. Shahin Rahimian might recommend getting an endoscopy. While the name alone may have you a bit on edge, it’s actually nothing to worry about. An endoscopy is a great diagnostic tool for checking the health of your digestive system, and it could be exactly what you need to get to the bottom of your symptoms. Our GI doctor in Martinsburg, WV, might recommend getting this painless procedure done if:
- There are certain digestive symptoms of which we can’t determine the cause
- To see how a preexisting digestive problem is responding to certain treatments
- To detect cancer
- To determine the proper region to perform a biopsy within the digestive tract
- To remove polyps or other growths
- To detect inflammation and ulcers
- To detect intestinal bleeding and to stop the bleeding
While many people may wonder why they just can’t get an x-ray to diagnose their issues, there is really no better way to diagnose a gastrointestinal condition than with an endoscopy. Sure, it is a bit more invasive than a standard x-ray but our Martinsburg, WV, GI doctor will be able to get a better idea of what’s going on with your GI tract and the symptoms you are experiencing.
If you are dealing with any of these symptoms below it’s a good time to give us a call and schedule an appointment so we can determine what’s going on:
- Abdominal pain
- Bloody stools
- Vomiting blood
There are many problems that could be causing your gastrointestinal symptoms, which is why you should come in as soon as possible for treatment. Some causes include:
- Gastritis (stomach lining inflammation)
- Irritable bowel disease
- Angiodysplasia (one of the most common causes of gastrointestinal bleeding)
Panhandle Gastroenterology in Martinsburg, WV, is here for you whenever digestive issues happen. Don’t ignore stomach pains or other problems. Get the answers you need. Call us to schedule an appointment today.